Dear Daniel,
Thanks a lot for the help. I got it to work by adding a transientterm().

If I try to use your second trick though:

eq = (DiffusionTerm(coeff=(1.0), var=phi) - numerix.sin(phi) + phi *
numerix.cos(phi)-ImplicitSourceTerm(numerix.cos(phi)) == TransientTerm(var=phi))

I get the error:

ExplicitVariableError: Terms with explicit Variables cannot mix with Terms with
implicit Variables.

Also, I dont fully understand the expression: I assume the implicit term is to
neutralize the  phi * numerix.cos(phi), so should it not be:
phi*ImplicitSourceTerm(numerix.cos(phi))?

Also: if I would want a second derivative in time in there to solve the
time-dependent problem, would the best way to do that to define a second
variable:

dphidt=TransientTerm(var=phi)

and solve the coupled equations or is there a different way?

Best,
Quintin

On 21 Mar 2019, at 16:48, Daniel Wheeler