Just a layperson's comments.

I'd be surprised if the Secret Service had not been sufficiently
empowered to protect the President and could not legally disarm anyone
in the vicinity of the President.  I would not regard such power as
infringing freedom sufficiently to warrent an effort to change the
situation.

Where I think I see problems is Secret Service assuming power to remove
protestors without legal authority.

For example, if there is a threat to the President's safety from a
possible bomb being thrown at his car as it passes, then secret service
action to move people away from his motorcade route might be
justified.  All the people should be moved in that case.  If the Secret
Service (or local authorities) move only people carrying anti-president
signs while leaving those with pro-president signs, it appears to me
they would be abusing civil rights and infringing liberty.

Absent a legal finding that a person is a criminal, the authorities
should have no warrent to treat that person in a distinguished way even
if his lawful conduct might offend sensibilities of those in power.
Obviously, the key is that a protestor's conduct should be lawful (and
the Secret Service should not have authority to make that conduct
unlawful just because someone is protesting).

I would love to see someone with sufficient resources take on what I
understand to be abuses in this area.

Phil

> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:50:40 -0500, Robert Woolley wrote:
>
> >This doesn't specify any conduct which one is required to conform to
or
> >refrain from in order to be in the designated areas. It seems,
rather, to
> >allow complete exclusion of unauthorized persons. Further, I doubt
that,
> >e.g., a campaign speech site is designated as a "residence"
or "office." It
> >appears to me that this is for, e.g., hotels that the president is
staying
> >at, or major portions thereof.
>
> I think you're right, and one of the links says that the Senate
Report (many
> years old) supports your comments; HOWEVER, recent media coverage of
the
> "pre-jail" at the DNC in Boston suggests that understanding "is no
longer
> operable."
>
> Other recent media coverage of arrests has said, summarized and
restated,
> that the Secret Service gave oral notice to protestors that
permission to be
> within the restricted area had been withdrawn, the restricted area
being
> defined by the Secret Service as pretty much wherever the protestors
were.

> Along with you, I'd appreciate an update from anyone who has managed
to stay
> current with this part of the law.
>
> The other thought I have is that the statute and the regulations are
careful
> to say that state and local law are not preempted.  So if the
protestors
> argue with the Secret Service, they are arrested for disturbing the
peace.

> The extension to your original question about licensed firearms would
be that
> if the agent says "no," then the answer is "no.  I recall a news
article
> several years ago about a licensed/authorized carrier (he might have
been
> some kind of judicial officer) who was briefly detained when he was
somewhere
> back in the crowd at a presidential appearance.  Poor judgment on his
part,
> perhaps, but in the absence of formally designated restricted areas
and/or
> metal detectors hardly a crime.  Or so I would think.

The Art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get
at him as soon as you can. Strike at him as hard as you can and as
often as you can, and keep moving on.
 -- Ulysses S. Grant