Heaven forbid!  A poster went beyond the scope of the original question.  I
thought one of the purposes of this board was to share our knowledge and/or
opinions.  Sharing should not be limited to just the original question.
Further, over posts, the topic evolves beyond the original question.  I was
not responding to  Henry's post, but to Joe's.  My post never mentions
Henry's post. I don't always read all the posts in a thread.  Somewhere in
this line of posts, the issues may have mutated from some to most.  Yes, the
subject line says "some."  However, are posters limited to the original
posters definition of the issue?  Perhaps we need a referee on this board to
ensure that posters fastidiously stick to the original subject line.
However, I stick with my assertion "The idea that
> the shotgun is superior for home defense for most people is complete B.S."
Note the word "most."  I do not use the word "some."  Yes, for some, a very
small percentage I would bet, the shotgun is preferable.
Additionally, I don't know if anyone mentioned that handgun ammunition  can
be loaded with various amounts of powder and slugs of different size, shape
and composition to attempt to deal with the problem of penetration of walls,
ceilings, etc. There are even a few slugs that are designed to disintegrate
quickly, but I'm not sure well they work. There is even handgun ammunition
that contains shot.  (Not as much as a shotgun shell, but shot nonetheless).
I doubt, however, that anyone would use handgun shot for self-defense.
However, some semi-automatic pistols may be sensitive to some powder and
slug loads.  Anyway, I've droned on long enough.
In summary, yes, the shotgun may be superior for some homeowners, but the
handgun is superior for most.

Ray Kessler
Prof. of  Criminal Justice
Sul Ross State Univ.