On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:15:48 -0500
Henry E Schaffer <h...@unity.ncsu.edu> wrote:

>   My conclusion is that while "militia" means "all able bodied adults"
> (at that time it only included men), adding the modifying "well
> regulated" meant that the militia had to not only exist, it had to
> function properly - which at that time required firearms, firearms
> training and practice.
>
> --henry schaffer

I concur. Indeed, the point of my message that started this thread
(http://lists.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/mailman/private/firearmsregprof/2010-December/008411.html)
was that we now have a plethora of contemporary examples thanks to
Google et alia.

http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/graph?content=well+regulated&year_start=1700&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3

On my brief informal examination, the "properly function"
interpretation is much more accurate than the "run by government
bureaucrats" interpretation. I don't recall finding an example to the
contrary.