With a fair amount of gunsmithing repairs now considered manufacturing -

"The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) has reviewed and
consolidated policy guidance about whether various activities related to
firearms constitute manufacturing for International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Parts 120-130) purposes and require registration
with DDTC and payment of a registration fee."

http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/Applicability%20of%20the%20ITAR%20Registration%20Requirement%20to%20Firearms%20Manufacturers%20%28Publish%29.pdf

It looks as if making (carving, sanding, ...) *one* rifle stock for a piece
of walnut will now require registration and payment.  I've written to ask
about the registration process and the fee, but I've heard from elsewhere
that it is $2,250/year. A reasonably common major repair of a firearms is
replacing the barrel - and it looks as if this will be considered to
require registration.

A lot of gunsmithing serving the target shooting community is about
improving the accuracy of firearms. Ditto.

--henry schaffer