Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.

On 27/05/13 17:20, Alex Peshkoff wrote:
> On 05/27/13 15:30, Andres Gomez wrote:
>>     * We understand that FB3 will be backward compatible in its API with
>> FB2.5 but that it will also bring a new C++ API. LibO is written vastly
>> in C++ and having an OO API would be very handy for our development.
>> Here we have several options and we would need advice to chose the best
>> approach:
>>       - Use the plain C API, knowing that it will be fully compatible
>> with FB2.5 or FB3.
>>       - Use an external C++ API, like IBPP. IBPP is a tested and quite
>> old wrapper over FB's C API but we wonder how well maintained it is as
>> latest stable release is from 2007.
>
> Plain C API almost did not change for a very long time, May be that's
> reason that well-working C++ helper for it does not need maintenance.

Yes, we are still considering the use of the IBPP helper for the
implementation, but so far, the C API works fine. Since the Driver is
not too complex for the time being, targeting just the embedded
approach, avoiding a new layer seems reasonable.

Perhaps the best approach would be to wait for the release of the FB3
API to port the Driver to a pure C++ implementation.

>> We understand that, although usable,
>> it would be better to have something that will have a brighter future.
>> In addition, this adds another external dependency to LibO.
>>        - Use the new internal C++ API. I assume this leaves us only with
>> the option of going for FB3. Maybe would it be possible to isolate and
>> compile the new C++ API against FB2.5 too?
>
> Yes. It's possible though not trivial. But must say that we were anyway
> thinking about it - to amke it possible to use 2.5 embedded library as
> an FB3 provider.

That would be an interesting option. I would be interested on knowing
more details about how to do it.

Br.