For building and contributing there is a
Geting Involved page

http://www.firebirdsql.org/en/building-the-code/

Conceptual papers that is worth to read
http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/design
also for
Conceptual Architecture for Firebird I have updated the html paper to
firebird 2.5 and added some links
https://gitorious.org/conceptual-architecture-for-firebird-paper

There is more on the firebird channel on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/SQLFirebird or various Firebird conference
papers