So there you go.

The OCI wire protocol must be "good and complete" to be able to facilitate the
layering of additional interfaces.

Good luck getting any ideas from it without analyzing TCP packets, but if
anyone would like some ideas the TDS wire protocol used by MS SQLServer (#3)
and Sybase (#10?) is apparently pretty mature (as in static) and fairly well
documented:

http://www.freetds.org/

Documentation of the JDBC interface is also available:

http://jtds.sourceforge.net/index.html

Let me point out that I am not a fan of either database.  I'm just pointing out
that the databases are widely used and documentation of the wire protocol and
implementation is available for evaluation.