Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
> On 31-08-2014 12:06, Geoff Worboys wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to argue that developers have already had years to
>> find a better solution than deleting the source, but really the
>> only better solution is UDR, and developers need significant
>> time to migrate.  So if you want projects to stay current, you
>> need to give them a changeover period to move to the better
>> solution.
>>

> UDR is about integration.

> Anyone claiming UDR to be a replacement to PSQL or exposition
> of code does not understand what UDR is.

There is still a lot of room for moving complex code out of
PSQL and into external procedures.  There are many things for
which PSQL is not an ideal choice, just as there are things
for which UDRs will not be ideal.  And there do seem to be
opportunities for UDRs to be used to pull out some of the
"sensitive" logic that people are trying to protect, and
even just hiding some parts of a sensitive procedure will be
like a black box that may make the meaning of the rest less
clear - and less easily diverted to unwanted use.

But you're right, of course.  I've not tried to use UDRs yet,
so I can't claim to fully understand or know the limitations.
And, like all new features, it will take time to learn what's
possible and what's practical.

--
Geoff Worboys
Telesis Computing Pty Ltd