On 31-8-2014 13:51, Carlos H. Cantu wrote:
> Let's get back to the facts and try to reach a decision:
>
> We have a "hack" that many people uses for a long time, to make it
> more difficult to stole procedures/triggers source (more difficult,
> not impossible, since BLR can be decoded to source). They know it is
> not 100% safe, but so far it is the only way to avoid
> "standard/common" users (the ones who knows only how to connect to
> database and run select), to have access to the sources.
>
> As pointed before, databases with procs/triggers with null source can
> be restored in FB 3 without any problem, but you can't erase the
> sources anymore. This looks inconsistent.
>
> Proposals so far:
>
> 1) Create an official way to make the source null
> 2) Create a way to obfuscate the source
> 3) Create a way to store the source encrypted
> 4) Leave the rdb$procedures and rdb$triggers writable (or at list the
> source field).
> 5) Create special privilege for users to be able to retrieve the
> source code.
>
> 1, 4 and 5 seems to be the only solutions that could be done without
> delaying FB 3 release (core developers can confirm this).
>
> So, as delaying the release of FB 3 is not an option, for now, we
> should consider only possible solutions that would fit this
> requirement. Better approach may appear in future versions.
>
> Since this would be developed by the core-developers, I would like to
> ask them to vote on this matter.
>
> The "feature" can be listed as just that: a feature to avoid storing
> the source code of procedures. We don't need to announce/list it as a
> a feature to "protect" anything, so we would not need to worry if
> someone argues that source could be decoded from BLR. When
> creating/altering such objects, people would choose if they want the
> plain source stored or not... just that.

I think I have made my opinion clear, so I won't reiterate my position.
However if we want to delay a real decision, then we simply opt for 4
(Leave the rdb$procedures and rdb$triggers writable) and we do *not*
communicate this as a feature/solution/workaround *at all*. And I think
it would be advisable to add an explicit note to the release notes that
a future version of Firebird may forbid this entirely.

Mark Rotteveel