Hi Stuart,

Download FirstAID from www.ib-aid.com, run FirstAID Extractor and open your database. It "decrypts" data from Firebird database using its internal structures and shows you the values of fields in tables' records.

Regards,
Alexey Kovyazin
IBSurgeon

OK, but version numbers tell me nothing. What I am looking for is an explanation of how Firebird (the package) can tell which bytes belong to which fields. Somehow Firebird must be able to tell the difference between the following two records:

FirstName     LastName
'Jim'               'Starkey'
'Jim Starkey'  ''

It may well be that it was coded in the Interbase days and has not been looked up until now. Or maybe it's the blob in the "RDB$DESCRIPTOR" field, in which case I do not know how to decode it into text.