On 21-03-2015 14:40, James Starkey wrote:
> The classical mechanism is to establish one range for systen define
> codes and another for private extensions.
>
> As has beeb pointed out, any engine or transport can safely ignore
> unrecognized codes.  Part if the architecture long before Firebird and
> Interbase existed.
>
> For those newbies, the Firebird/Interbase is strictly (and upwards
> comapatible with the DEC DSRI architecture.  At one point in history you
> could use VAX Datatrieve, as shipped, to access an Interbase database on
> a Sun or Apollo mechine.

Theories, just theories...

At the moment, we have something that works only in imaginations.

Constraints like who can use each DPB number range shall be part of the
architectural design, but it has not.

We should define it now then. And the first range would be called
"generic (not!) codes".

Adriano