On 09/09/2015 05:19 PM, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
> On 9-9-2015 16:09, Alex Peshkoff wrote:
>> On 09/09/2015 01:54 PM, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
>>> Looking through the code in interface.cpp, there seem to be two new
>>> authentication mechanisms in Firebird 3, one in the op_connect (with
>>> CNCT_specific_data), and again one in op_attach with the DPB; they use
>>> the same or similar data, but two different ways of using.
>>>
>>> Why is this? Wouldn't it have been simpler to implement only one
>>> authentication mechanism (besides the classic mechanism) and stick with
>>> that?
>>>
>>> Mark
>> FB3 supports use of multiple authentication plugins. It may happen (when
>> no encryption is used) that first one works at connect stage, next
>> starts at attach stage and later follows exchange with auth data until
>> authentication success (or failure). This saves roundtrips when attaching.
> Thanks for the explanation. This sort of things makes implementing an
> equivalent authentication mechanism a lot harder. I would very much have
> preferred a single mechanism (even though if they look and work
> similar).

I've so many times read/heard about too slow firebird remote protocol
compared with other SQL servers that tried to save roundtrips when/where
possible ...

> For now I will look if I can get away with only having it in
> the connect stage.

Client may skip sending any info at particular stage, server should just
start op_cont_auth exchange in that case.
Moreover - it can be forcely started by server before op_attach in a
case when line to be encrypted. This ensures sending DPB contents using
reliable encrypted connection, avoiding man-in-the-middle attacks on
DPB/SPB.