On 2016-03-03 1:35, Slavomir Skopalik wrote:
>> Hi,
>> this is about record encoding .
>> My private test with RLE + LZ4 shows, that from combination RLE, LZ4,
>> RLE + LZ4 the last is the best.
> I'm perfectly ok with doing that for records.
>
>> I believe, that better record encoding will help wire transfer in any
>> case.
>>
>>   From other side, record encoding can be used in all situation (in
>> average speed can be around 10-30% of memory move)
>> but zlib over local network can be limitation.
> Decompression in memory would be necessary when comparing values, on
> sorts, etc. So I think in memory, you would probably work with the
> uncompressed values.
Record compression/encoding is used for IO operation.
But I can imagine, that will be used also for large records (>4kb?) in
sort module.

> As to the wire protocol: Compression over compression is usually
> inefficient and something I think should be avoided. But my main concern
My test shows different result.
And encoding supposed by Jim is not compression, it is different
representation of values.

But back to original question.
Is it right time to change record/fragment compression/encoding?

Slavek