> Who cares how effect of smaller space occupied by the record is called,
> important thing is a result - size and certainly time for compression
> and specially decompression.
Elekt Labs RLE is faster then current one, because works on larger
blocks (up ~4MB).

See performance results here:

http://elektlabs.cz/fbrle/

I had new version with little better compression and speed, but it is
marginal.

>> But back to original question.
>> Is it right time to change record/fragment compression/encoding?
> We are going to have soon TTG solution re. list of v.4 features.

Can you provide more info about this, I miss this :(

> If we decide not to change ODS major in v.4 commit of LZ4 appears
> suspicious. I.e. I think you should wait a bit.
LZ4 has only marginal effect on my DBs.
I'm using short records (after RLE about 30 bytes).
But on large record, mainly texts, the benefits is significant.

> What is also interesting - how does your compression work with records
> other than containing single varachar(8000)? Some mix of
> integrs/floats/strings?
Yes. As I wrote, Elekt Labs RLE works well up 4MB record size.
It is mean, 4MB of zeroes is packed into 3 bytes.

> Personally I (after my own experiments with LZ4 for wire compression)
> believe that it should fit well for records compression, but it's always
> good to provide more facts. What is looking strange for me is that LZ4
Because LZ4 has limit 1:255, current RLE has limit 1:64.
VARCHAR(8000) in UTF8 has 32k.
When is null, Elekt Labs RLE will pack into 3 bytes, LZ4 into ~125 +
overhead, current RLE into 500.

> works better when used over RLE. As far as I understand it's algorithm
> is should do it's job fine without RLE. Results of comparisons for data
> mix is very interesting.
>
> Last but not least - did you run our test suites with your patch?

Only our internal tests + we was using in my company for a while without
problems.
We stops, because I need testing 2.5.4 and 2.5.5 before deploy to customers.

May be Pavel Cisar did a tests, good time to ask him.

Slavek