On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 04:37:06PM +0100, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

> Then, we read the thread "Compiler for official Firebird 4 release on
> Windows" on this ML. Which says that not only Firebird 3, bit Firebird
> 4 binaries on http://firebirdsql.org/ will be compiled with
> MSVC2013. Some people within the LibreOffice developer community have
> understood that as "Firebird 4 will not support newer MSVC";

Well, that would be really pesimistic interpretation. I seriously doubt
core developers who work on Windows would like to confine themselves to
MSVC 2013 for the whole FB4 lifetime. As I said before, what will be the
official binaries compiled with and what compilers will be supported are
two very different questions.

It seems at least some of the issues you ran into are the same problems
we encountered with gcc6, see the initial comment of CORE-5099 for the
list. I believe all except 2 and 3 can be safely fixed in all branches
from 2.5 up and I think they should. As for issue 2 (exception specifier
for operator new), this could be fixed as well once we make sure MSVC is
OK with suggested solution.

The most complicated is issue 3, dead store elimination (see my comment
from February 26). I'm not sure how much of the code relies on zeroing
object storage in operator new. It may not be feasible (and safe) to fix
all of them in 2.5 and maybe not even in 3.0 (which is already at RC2).
Good news is it can be worked around with "-flifetime-dse=1" or stronger
"-fno-lifetime-dse". The tricky part is that gcc < 5 does not recognize
this option but that can be resolved in configure script.

I'm going to propose patches for the easy issues later this week, let's
see what the consensus will be.

                                                          Michal Kubecek