On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 05:07:13PM +0200, Stefan Heymann wrote:
> >>    Try to set option IPv6V6Only to true in firebird.conf and see if
> >>    it makes any difference.
>
> > This directive affects only listening sockets (i.e. a server) and
> > would actually do the exact opposite: make the server listening on
> > (default) address :: accept only IPv6 connections (to any address).
> > To accept only IPv4 connections, you would rather want
> > "RemoteBindAddress 0.0.0.0" (or e.g. 127.0.0.1).
>
> We're now talking about Fb3 servers, right? Wenn I connect to a Fb3
> server (using the Fb3 client and "localhost" as the host name), the
> connection is quick.
>
> The problem is when I use the Fb3 client to connect to a Fb2.5
> database. Then there is this one second delay.

Yes, that's why I explained that the IPv6V6Only directive cannot help
you as it does only affect server so that it can't change the behaviour
of a 3.0 client (and a 2.5 server wouldn't recognize it at all).

> Connection time using the new Fb3 fbclient.dll:
> - 3.0 database using "localhost" - quick
> - 3.0 database using "127.0.0.1" - quick
> - 2.5 database using "localhost" - slow
> - 2.5 database using "127.0.0.1" - quick

This agrees with the theory: "localhost" resolves to both :: and
127.0.0.1 and according to your system's rules, :: is preferred. With
3.0 database listening to any IPv6 or IPv4 connection, both are quick.
A 2.5 server, however, does only listen to IPv4 connections and for some
reason, client has to wait for timeout of the connection to :: which is
tried first.

                                                          Michal Kubecek