18.08.2016 18:08, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 18.08.2016 16:55, Vlad Khorsun wrote:
>>    Global timeout is a last line of defense for DBA against bad apps, wrong
>> queries,
>> developer mistakes, unlucky days (dropped some indices last week but now
>> some queries
>> got crazy) and so on. It is *last* line, therefore it should be used with
>> maximum care.
>
>    What can be an advantage of this feature over cron-ed script chat check
> monitoring
> tables and send DBA mail with list of bad queries?

- no need to create such script
- no need to create such script for every database
- no need to check mail
- no need to go to workplace and kill query by hand
- it just work and require no intervention

>>    For example: as developer you may like to set session level timeout in
>> your dev tool
>> to avoid need to kill manually query you writting and forget to specify join
>> condition
>> for 25th and 26th tables in it.
>
>    As a developer I would not ever run such query on production database.
> Besides, I have
> no idea how to choose the value of timeout.

   Somewhere there are much more than single developer with notebook as
personal database
server.

>    And yes, I would hardly be a user of this marketing feature.

   I will not cry for you :)

Vlad

PS why do you waste my time speaking about feature you not going to use ?
PPS i'm not surprised