On 10/05/2018 13:47, Vlad Khorsun via Firebird-devel wrote:
> 10.05.2018 19:23, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
>> On 10/05/2018 13:12, Vlad Khorsun via Firebird-devel wrote:
>>>
>>>    I guess the question is about the case when users have historical
>>> data
>>> and need to apply old time zone rule to the old data and new timezone
>>> rule
>>> to the new data.
>>>
>>>    Is it possible\make sence to add a datetime field with "valid from"
>>> mark ? Or something like that, some kind of version mark.
>>>
>> I really don't understood what you mean.
>>
>> Please give more practical example.
>
>   Look how MSK time zone was changed at 2014.10.26
>
> https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/russia/moscow
>
> I think about something like this:
>
> ID    Name    Valid from        Offset
> ...    MSK    2011.03.27 02:00    +4
> ...    MSK    2014.10.26 02:00    +3
>
> Is it makes sence ?

America/Sao_Paulo changes every year because DST (when starting to -02
and ending to -03).

This is not a problem. The feature is very aware about it.

But there is some timestamps that are ambiguous (*1) and some are
invalid (*2) when you enter it as text, but as soon it's converted it's
stored in UTC and there is no problem anymore.

*1 Currently consistently resolved to one of them - cannot explain
better right now

*2 Currently converted instead of throw an exception - cannot explain
better right now

Adriano