10.05.2018 21:13, Lester Caine wrote:
On 10/05/18 18:47, Vlad Khorsun via Firebird-devel wrote:
Regions that use Daylight Saving Time (DST) change the time zone name and time during the DST period. The words “daylight” or “summer” are then usually included in the time zone name. The areas that don't use DST remain on standard time zone all year.

This view of things is somewhat out of date. There has been a discussion recently on the TZ list over 'Ireland' which uses 'standard time' in the summer, and changes from that in the winter ... hence a -ve DST offset rather than positive. Also DST in the southern hemisphere is reversed and Australian abbreviations don't follow the same guide. Some tools could not handle the -ve DST so it's implementation has been delayed, but the plan is that the correct data will be provided by TZ at least in future.

  The key is that DST doesn't affect given time zone. TZ could be "standard
time" based (such as MSK)
or "DST based" (such as MSD or IST you speak about) but TZ itself is not
changed with DST start\end.
What is changed - is what TZ should be used. But we (I) speak not about it.

Regads,
Vlad