On 02.09.2019 13:53, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
On 2-9-2019 11:35, Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote:
On 02.09.2019 11:25, Vlad Khorsun wrote:
30.08.2019 20:41, Mark Rotteveel wrote:

  Hope Alex will answer this, below is my own understanding of propositions.

Could you explicitly describe the problem you think this solves, and how your proposal solves it?

  Hmm... the first paragraph at original message explains it

Problem is that for some reasons different clients want to receive timestamp with timezone in different formats. How is it solved - suppose the rest of original text was about it.

Or I and Vlad do not understand your question?

The "From discussion in a thread "Could not find acceptable ICUlibrary​" it's getting clear that we can not satisfy all requirements to time with timezone fields (when exchanging client/server messages) in single format because they (requirements) are too contradictory. Suggested solution is use of flexible format letting each client to receive data from the server in a best fit way."

Doesn't actually describe the problem this design intends to address, just that there are "contradictory [requirements]". It would be helpful to explicitly state which requirements the design fulfills and how. That way, we don't need to read between the lines and infer our own interpretation.

I've supposed that it's obvious for one who is familiar with referenced thread (i.e. to people interested in some solution).
OK.

Time(stamp) with timezone may be represented in different ways. Time may be provided for mentioned timezone or UTC, timezone may be represented as TZ code or as offset from GMT. Server alwaus stores time as UTC, TZ code or offset is stored depending upon how was data initally entered. But different clients may need different data representation. Conversion when TZ code is used is not trivial and requires ICU library often missing on windows client. Suggested approach makes it possible to tune server to return data in a form required by partcular client.