Sean,

on the machine i tested it and in the config i tested based on what i was able to find from their description to have a similar test environment, yes, the resulting number that was reported  in the test was more or less the same for both platforms, but i expect, that this was more or less a simple result of the maximum I/O the machine was able to deliver and not really a real world useable database server test, since caches need to be filled before the real test starts etc. Our benchmark does a much better real world result.

i do not remember real result and i already deleted the setup  but in fact on our machine it was even with both platforms alsmost twice as high as the ones embarcadero showed in their interbase result and i had no idea, what they were using to get the bad result for firebird. But one simple way is know: Using nvme ssds on windows server OS without proper driver support always results in very poor performance, perhaps the combination with journaling makes this advantage, since write I/O profile is for sure completly different, but since we know how to make also nvme ssds in windows server os really fast, the test result is still b...s...

if you and others are interested in my setup, i will have a look if i can find the tpc setup again on one of my dozens of tb on several nas systems, just let me know and i can prepare it again and firebird project can use
that for giving the answer to the embarcadero propaganda.

And in fact, the discussion about this was in August 2017 alread, that was the first time embarcadero was
announcing "their" tpc "results".

my resume in that discussion then was

"with forced writes on interbase was 0.5% faster, with forced writes off interbase was 2% slower. "

But as visible in network protocol this was tested with fb3 default otw encryption on which is not supported by interbase afaik and when looking at the network packages with a sniffer, it was obvious that interbase protocol was not encrypted. I did not retest it with other optimisations in firebird since i knew already published results from embarcadero
were manipulated or simply not honest.

and for everyone who is interested: feel free to use our benchmark db and its procedures with interbase database
encryption activated , but don´t expect the result to come fast ...

With a Firebird encryption module active (like the one we deliver in ibexpert full version), you see a big decrase in performance when using very low cache buffer settings, but it is getting almost to full speed if large cache buffers are used, since the firebird way is only affected on reading and writing pages, which is obviously not done so often when data can stay in ram. In Interbase they definitly use another way, since our results showed also with large cache buffers  the database operations remain much slower ...

and for Karol,

Delphi is definitly not a bad product, but please understand what my biggest criticism there is: Each new version is not only update and work on, there are so many (perhaps intended) incompatibilities with each new version, and things like late or missing 64bit android support for native platforms and other problems in the last years with their mobile platform support and strange level of half linux support, and when they talk about multiplatform but are not even able to have a 64bit Windows IDE, that is not what the customers want.

We stopped using delphi for all new projects about 6 years ago and switched to lazarus (with pas2js/tms webcore for mobile platforms) and we will never go back again, but that decision is not so easy for existing projects (as you might know, ibexpert has about 1.7 millions lines of pascal code and we still use delphi5 to compile and develop it, even that about 75% of sourcecode is already compatible to lazarus, the remaing 25% is not
so easy converted in another 25% of time, but we are working on this ...

But in a lot of consulting jobs, we are still working in customer environments on newer delphi versions so i know what we are talking about.  If anyone is happy with delphi, i have no problem with this, but i am extremly happy with my in several thousands of hours used lazarus development environment which i was able to learn in almost 0 time because pascal/lcl/vcl is almost exactly the same in both platforms and i am too old and too lazy to learn new programming language. And the advantages of mobile apps
based on lazarus/pas2js/tms webcore is extremly helpful for what we need.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Holger Klemt