On 2020-03-04 20:01, Mark Rotteveel wrote:
What is the purpose of introducing yet another datatype called EXTENDED TIME/TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?

Help users missing ICU on the client work with time zones.

I think this is extremely confusing, making both SQL

No. Use of them is very restricted - the _ONLY_ place where they can be used in SQL is SET BIND statement.

and the wire protocol more convoluted.

Did not notice it when adding datatype :-) Certainly one more type means a bit efforts in XDR but that's not more than a few lines of code.

PS.
PR @github existed for >2 weeks. Why did you not ask questions that time?

PPS.
If determining time zone offset by code is not a problem for Java client I suppose there is no big need in supporting extended format at all in it.