10.08.2020 17:49, Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote:
On 2020-08-10 13:31, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
10.08.2020 12:23, Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote:
CRC32 returns 32-bit integer.
HASH(something USING method) returns varbinary of appropriate length.
What should be return value of HASH(something USING CRC32)?

  32 bits integer. It won't be the first function whose result depends on
parameter.

OK.

  Same function returning different types depending on input argument - very
bad idea,
I think. If we have some in the past it doesn't means we should add more mess
"just
because we can".

  Is it possible to pass hash method as parameter ? If not now - could it be
possible
in the feature ? If yes - what type of result HASH should return for CRC32 in
this case
(i.e. when method name is passed as parameter) ?

  Currently, HASH supports MD5, SHA1, SHA256 and SHA512 - all these algorithms
are used
in cryptography, as Mark said in start message of this thread. Why mix CRC32 in
here ?
It is completely different alg for different purposes. What problem we want to
address
here ? BTW, any plans to add CRC64 ?

Regards.
Vlad