On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 13:31:10 +0300
Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel <firebird-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On 2/2/21 12:16 PM, Paul Reeves wrote:
> > I doubt that our user base for 32-bit ARM is really very significant but
> > 32-bit ARM chips probably have a good future ahead of them.
>
> Not sure. I visited eShop - only 46 cheap-most phones of 616 have 32-bit
> CPUs. And they use chips developed in 2014. All the rest are at least
> Cortex-A53.

Actually, I wasn't thinking about phones. I was thinking more on the lines
of the early Raspberries. And there are many more similar products such as
Arduino. These 32-bit processor designs can have h/w costs that are almost
in pennies, not dollars. That market is only going to get bigger. But as I
said, we don't really have much of a user base there. At least at the moment.

tl;dr - 32-bit x86 is more or less dead but 32-bit processors will be around
for some time to come.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves