„The main reason why this "removal of trailing partial contraction" was
done is to achieve behavior "consistent" with search/evaluation in other
software (like text editors etc.), so (for example) STARTING WITH "C" or
LIKE "C%" will return rows starting with "C" or "CH".

This behavior itself is questionable (but more about that later)
„

I try to understand the issue but meybe simpler description is required.

When i use WIN1250 collate PXW_PLK (my Polish language)
Then engine threat all „ch” as single letter in the index?
And i cannot find looking by only „c” without „h” with index lookup?

If yes how engine decide that this is „ch” or  „c” and „h” in words?

If i write:
„chmura” it can be ok

But if i write (i write upper letter to show the problem):
„cHandle” which is not „ch” at all?

Is my understanding ok or i misunderstand description of performance
degradation?

regards,
Karol Bieniaszewski