Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote 25.08.2022 10:27:
But here are some problems:
- An error when querying service is treated by 99% of callers (starting with fbsvcmgr) as fatal one. Other errors will not be displayed.

  And it is the right way to handle them, IMHO.

- What about warnings - yes, they probably may be used at the first glance. But once again big problems with old clients. What should return isc_service_query - success or failure? On failure one prints status and detachs from service, on success - ignores SV.

Wasn't it always the way warnings were working: success in function result and requirement to parse vector to get them?.. Perhaps warnings should be returned both ways: the binary form in status and duplicate text in output. In this case applications will get them as usual and advanced ones may be interested in parsing status.

- Verbose messages are already passed through isc_svc_query().

  That's what they belongs to.

Certainly we may require analyzing warnings from clients who want to receive verbose messages in machine-readable form. Is it what you want?

Rather no. As written above - messages belong to (one of) output streams (I believe services API should be able to deliver multiple streams in parallel: messages and binary stream for backup as an example).

--
  WBR, SD.