On 25-02-2020 13:24, Paul Vinkenoog wrote:
I dug this up from the tracker:

Zero-width spaces in the .fo file (we use them in file names, URLs etc.) show
up as normal spaces in the Japanese (and other non-Western?) PDFs, ruining the
appearance of the elements in question.

The MSMincho metrics file contains an entry for ZWSP with (evidently) the wrong
character width. Removing the entry resolves the issue. A related bug (ZWSP
acts as backspace when the font is embedded in the PDF) has been fixed in our
own build of the patched FOP trunk.

But that was 13 years ago. I'm sure they fixed the font files since then, so
the above comment *probably* doesn't apply anymore.
In order to test it, you could insert a ZWSP somewhere in a Japanese source and
see if it comes out as a visible space in the PDF.

Or, as you suggested, we could just wait until the next Japanese document needs
to be built.

I have found an instance of the problem, (search for firebird.log in the Japanese Firebird 2.5 release notes), but the trick to remove it from the metrics file doesn't seem to have worked, because I also see it occurring in the existing release notes (ie https://firebirdsql.org/file/documentation/release_notes/Firebird-2.5.4-ReleaseNotes-Japanese.pdf).

I also tried modifying the wx entry, but that also doesn't seem to have an effect (but maybe I got the wrong one, or I'm making the wrong modification).

In any, case I think I'll leave it at this for now.

Mark
--
Mark Rotteveel