I have a field in a table named Type, and declared as Char(1). What I'm
finding is that when I retrieve that column with a SELECT, the result is
padded to the length of the field name (e.g. 4 chars, the length of
"Type").

This causes serious problems, for instance if I do "SELECT Type from
TableName" in a DataReader, then Load that into a DataTable, it throws an
exception, because it figures out that the schema only allows for a
character length of 1 for the Type column, but the returned data is 4
characters long.

Is this a known bug? What can I do about it? I would rather not have to
rename my Type column to "T"!