Oleg Deribas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Mercea Paul said the following on 02.07.2007 21:08:
>
>> Could Fb.Net Provider have release number specific to Firebird server?
>> If Current provider support all facilities for FB 2.1 Beta 1, could have
>> same release number as fb server (2.1)? It's more easy to know what provider
>> is compatible with witch server!
>
> Reasonable idea, IMO...

Let me express my experiences from the Jaybird perspective (Java JDBC
driver).

We have tried to use this approach in Jaybird, and at the very beginning
it went well (version 1.5.x of Jaybird and Firebird 1.5, though the
point releases were different - now we have FB 1.5.4 and Jaybird 1.5.6,
but this is something you have to live with).

But then during release of version 2.0 we experienced issue that Jaybird
2.0 was ready quite long time and we waited few monthes on release of
Firebird 2.0 (it was planned to happen end of 2005). Then it was decided
to release Jaybird 2.0 without waiting on FB 2.0, which happened in
November 2005, and the Firebird 2.0 Release happened one year later.
Naturally, Jaybird 2.0 did not support new features from FB 2.0.

So, _unless_ there is coordinated release plan for the whole Firebird
Project _and_ the release dates will be met by all subproject under any
condition, tieing the driver release numbers to the Firebird RDBMS
release numbers is not reallistic.

Roman

P.S. BTW, the next Jaybird release will be 2.2...