Thanks for the answer, Carlos.

So, I should use Win1252 and be well? That's not too big a problem.
I have about 300 tables, but most of the objects do not override the
database's charset. Can I change the database's charset by restoring
a backed up db into an (empty) database with another charset?

One questions remains, though.
If ISO8859_1 is not suitable for that purpose, why have I never been
noticing this before? I mean, why do the other drivers/providers
translate those bytes correctly to a Euro sign?

Having the Euro sign (for notes/memo-fields) is essential for my
application so I will try to convert charset as early as possible and
give a report back.

I will try Win1252 because I don't want the 2 bytes extra for Unicode.

Thanks,
André