sqlsvr schrieb am 12.06.2010 um 21:28 (-0700):

> How do you rename a table? Every other DBMS supports renaming a table.
> During development, table names can AND DO change and firebird does
> not support this.

Apparently true. But during development it is not much of a problem
provided you develop a DDL script that drops and recreates the entire
set of objects in the database. Just drop the old set of objects (table
plus all dependent objects), rename the table in your script, and then
recreate the database. If your database setup involves time-consuming
import of lots of data, that is apparently not an entirely satisfactory
solution.

> I see that there is already an old request in the firebird tracker
> that the "firebird developers arrogance" has chosen to ignore...

You're probably talking about this one:

http://tracker.firebirdsql.org/browse/CORE-2486

You say that "every other DBMS supports renaming a table." Well,
MySQL/MyISAM can do it quite easily because it hardly supports any
referential integrity. Reading the issue, the way this is implemented
in real SQL servers is not as useful as it sounds:

  This feature could only be implemented after support for
  "invalidating" metadata objects was added to the Firebird
  engine, since attempting to replace all table references
  in the source 'code' of the dependent objects would be
  much too risky to consider.

  (This is how Oracle and Postgres have implemented the
  feature -- they mark all existing objects as invalid
  and require the developer to correct the references
  themselves.)

So it's far from automatic. All things considered, editing the DDL
script using search/replace and recreating the database may be a lot
easier.

> a real shame....if this is the case, I assume that "firebird
> developers" never worked in a production/development
> environment....I'm switching back to Oracle.

Sorry to hear that: I shall miss the display of skilled arrogance in
your provocative posts ...

--
Michael Ludwig