Ann,
  Thanks for the suggestion.  If I can tie a deadlock to a process ID, that
will work out great.  I was intimidated by the lock manager before but after
looking at its printout again, it doesn't seem that bad.

Thomas,
  We do not have SysInternals ProcessExplorer on our server, but I see that it
is freely available so we will shortly.

  Thanks to all for your help.  I think I have enough information and tools now
to solve my Firebird issues.

               Regards,
                 vince