On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Paul Vinkenoog <p...@vinkenoog.nl> wrote:

> That works - if the difference between 1.0 and 1.5.6 doesn't matter to you
> - but the OP wanted a solution that didn't require opening a database
> connection first (and as we now know, he needs it for JDBC).

That's a little like wanting to know the color of your prize without
opening your eyes.  You could find a hint in the installation directory or
its contents.  The JDBC interface may be able to report its own version,
but it's not necessarily the same version as the server.  Gstat -h will
tell you the ODS version by opening the file without making a connection,
but that's not the same as the server version either.  The authoritative
answer to "which server version?" comes from the server.

Good luck,

Ann