--- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Steinmaurer <ts@...> wrote:

> >>    Yes
> >>

> > Thank you for your answers, that is great news. By the way my purpose for
> > using tracing is to be able to see a how parametrised selects created with
> > IBPP are resolved.

> >>    If you want to trace "local" database, just use "service_mgr" and
> >> ensure fbtracemgr used fbembed[.dll|.so] instead of fbclient.
> >>

> > Sorry I should have said that I am using CS 2.5.2 on Ubuntu 12.10.
> >
> > I have set up fbtracemgr to use fbemded by setting the following
> > environment variables:
> >
> > export FIREBIRD=/home/myhome/experiments/firebird
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/myhome/experiments/firebird
> >
> > I have tried putting libfbtrace.so in $FIREBIRD, $FIREBIRD/plugins and even
> > tried /opt/firebird/plugins
> >
> > but fbtracemgr cannot find the plugin, "Can not start trace session. There
> > are no trace plugins loaded"
>
> Is there a particular reason of using Embedded instead of a regular
> server for your tracing scenario?
>
> --
> With regards,
> Thomas Steinmaurer
> http://www.upscene.com/

Thomas, thanks for your comment.

I am making a very basic piece of software using wxWidgets and IBPP that I want
to be easily deployable without having to install the server, check firewalls
etc.

You might think that sqlite or similar is more appropriate but I am happy with
Firebird and don't want to preclude scaling things to client server at some
point down the road.

I have successfully used fbtracemgr before with the normal server, but this is
my first attempt at using it with the embedded server which has been setup
following the instructions at
http://www.firebirdfaq.org/Firebird-Embedded-Linux-HOWTO.html

Kind regards