We generate the queries on the fly rather than trying to use a view, precisely because of these problems.

So if CityName is not required in the output, there's no JOIN to City.

And if there's something in the WHERE clause such as "HobbyCode > 27" then we know that HobbyID can't be null, which means we can use a JOIN instead of a LEFT JOIN, and quite often that results in a better plan.

But yes, it does involve hundreds of lines of quite complex code to analyse what information is required in a particular case and generate the appropriate query, and in many cases the query optimiser could, theoretically, have worked this out for itself, but it doesn't.