On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Lester Caine les...@lsces.co.uk
[firebird-support] <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> On 14/09/14 13:20, Mark Rotteveel m...@lawinegevaar.nl
> [firebird-support] wrote:
> > On 14-9-2014 14:11, Lester Caine les...@lsces.co.uk [firebird-support]
> > wrote:

> >> This means that your machine does not have the network configured
> >> properly. Quite a common problem with windows these days.
> >
> > A common problem? I don't actually think so. The question you link to
> > below is also not very informative; and that is problem is probably more
> > related to the fact that by default localhost resolves to ::1 (IPv6)
> > instead of 127.0.0.1 (IPv4).
>
> That 'localhost' has been a recurring problem in the past is a simple
> fact. I've got notes on this list from many years back about trying the
> machines IP address rather than localhost when there are windows
> connection problems.
>
> > > SO the next
> >> question is ... is this machine actually on a network? If so
> >>
> http://superuser.com/questions/713491/why-does-localhost-not-work-in-windows-8-1-but-127-0-0-1-does
> >> may help ...
> >
> > The original question is about use of embedded. The fact that it is
> > attempting to connect through localhost means that a hostname
> > (localhost) is included in the connection string, which results in
> > fbembed.dll acting as a normal fbclient, instead of using its internal
> > server to access the database.
> >
> > The real question is if this happens because the application itself
> > specifies the hostname, or because the connection component
> > automatically adds localhost if no hostname is specified.
>
> Adam had switched to Flamerobin and it was this which gave the more
> useful error report. Flamerobin certainly defaults to using localhost so
> the alternative track IS the alternate ways of accessing 'embedded', and
> I thought Flamerobin tested them - but obviously I'm mistaken? I did
> think localhost would access a local embedded client? But it has been
> some considerable time since I actually used it.

So am I right in my understanding here then that FlameRobin will not work
with the FireBird embeded server and if this is correct then can I run the
embeded server hile the full server is running as a background process?
        • Re: [f... Lester Caine les...@lsces.co.uk [firebird-support]
        • Re: [f... Adam adam...@gmail.com [firebird-support]
      • Re: [fireb... Lester Caine les...@lsces.co.uk [firebird-support]
        • Re: [f... Mark Rotteveel m...@lawinegevaar.nl [firebird-support]