Interesting. I have a server using SSD with the same I/O stats, but the server
does not perform very well. All efforts to optimise have yielded result below
expectation..

From: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:firebird-support@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: 03 November 2014 01:02 PM
To: firebird-support@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [firebird-support] Re: Performance of Firebird (Superserver vs
Superclassic, etc.)

I also like to share my experience with FB 2.5 on Win 64.

I took a different path to optimazed FB performance.

>From the very beginning I have choosed SC architecture for its multiple thread
>capability.

And these are the main setting in my db
- Page Buffers = 1024
- DefaultDbCachePages = 0

I set these parameters to its min value because Firebird database is placed on
a RAM disk.
I predict my database size won't exceed 64GB and also I can upgrade CPU RAM up
to 128GB.

With those setting, you have SC architecture with share cached like in SS.

CPU has a UPS and backup runs 3x times a days. It has been runs about 3 years
without serious problems.

I don't know how its speed compared to database on a disk, but it is very fast.

Just for raw info, on SSD(sata 2), random read 4K +/- 18 MB/s, random write 4K
+/- 52 MB/s.
On RAM, random read 4K +/- 1061 MB/s, random write 4K +/- 770 MB/s.

    • Re: [f... Helen Borrie hele...@iinet.net.au [firebird-support]
      • Re... Geoff Worboys ge...@telesiscomputing.com.au [firebird-support]
            • ... 'Thomas Steinmaurer' t...@iblogmanager.com [firebird-support]
              • ... Geoff Worboys ge...@telesiscomputing.com.au [firebird-support]