Adding some notes:

Examples stat3.e and stat5.e from /opt/firebird/examples/stat/ don't work,
while stat2.e works.
I'm getting the same -901 "request synchronization error".

Steps to reproduce:

Extract somewhere FirebirdCS-2.5.6.27020-0.i686.tar.gz
"su" to be root.
Run install.sh, creates backup, ask for password.
Replace /opt/firebird/security2.fdb with symlink to reallife security2.fdb.
Get /etc/init.d/firebird from somewhere.
service firebird start

cd /opt/firebird/examples/stat
cp ../include/example.h .
/opt/firebird/bin/gpre -d employee.fdb stat2.e
export ISC_USER=sysdba
export ISC_PASSWORD=...
export ISC_DATABASE=employee.fdb
cc -lfbclient stat2.c -o stat2
./stat2
(Same for stat3.e and stat5.e)

Like I said, in FB 2.5.6 stat3 and stat5 throw error.
If I do the same with FB 2.5.5 then these examples work.