On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 5:30 AM Georgiy Kovalov g...@liconic.com
[firebird-support] <firebird-support@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> At the time of backup firebird database (gbak -g -ig) I have the following
> error:
>
> gbak:    writing data for table ORDERS
> gbak: ERROR:message length error (encountered 532, expected 528)
> gbak: ERROR:gds_$receive failed
> gbak:Exiting before completion due to errors
>
> OK.  The first thing to do is to run gbak with the -o and -v options.
That will tell you which table
is causing the error.  Message length errors can be caused by
compression/decompression
problems.  When you've identified the table with the error, you can probe
it to find the bad
record.  Probe with a sorted, non-indexed query and you'll eventually find
a record that will cause
the same error.
same error.  At that point,

> When I'm using *gfix* with different parameters (-v -full, -mend,
> -ignore), I have the message:
>
> Summary of validation errors
>         Number of index page errors     : 540
>
> Mend is a little dangerous, but essentially it clears invalid pointers to
pages and records, so you get
a null pointer instead of a bad one.  Whatever the bad one pointed to will
go from unavailable to
ready to be removed.  Certainly not the option I would use first.  Index
pages errors are generally
benign.  Firebird indexes can contain pointers to deleted records after a
crash or hard shutdown.
That's expected and eventually fixed if the entry is visited.

> In *firebird.log* file I see the lines:
>
> PC (Server) Thu Sep 20 08:37:01 2018
>     Database: E:\...GDB
>     Index 2 is corrupt on page 134706 level 1. File:
> ..\..\..\src\jrd\validation.cpp, line: 1699
>      in table COMPONENTS (197)

That's a problem that can be fixed by rebuilding the index.  However, it's
unlikely to be the source
of your gbak problem because gbak doesn't backup or reference user defined

Good luck,

Ann
  • [firebird-supp... Georgiy Kovalov g...@liconic.com [firebird-support]
    • Re: [fire... Alexey Kovyazin a...@ib-aid.com [firebird-support]