David Smith <sm...@virtuluxe.com> wrote:

> Yes, I can stay at the version and continue to run Firebug (I am quite
> certain that I cannot have two versions on the same Mac)

​Luckily -- despite your being "quite certain" -- that's not true, or at
least it didn't used to be true. I have a free program called MultiFirefox
<http://davemartorana.com/multifirefox/> installed on my Mac, ​which lets
you switch between more than one version of FF, and/or between multiple
profiles for the same version. It's a Mac application, not a FF extension,
so it shouldn't be affected by the switch to E10s (I hope). I'm not
absolutely sure that it still works, since I haven't used it with a recent
version of FF, but it seems to still be under development (updated) so it
probably still works.

Alternatively, this page
<http://benalman.com/news/2010/08/multi-firefox-launcher-for-os/> describes
using the Mac's command line, or an AppleScript that the author wrote, to
accomplish something similar -- switching between more than one FF
installation on the same Mac. (I haven't tried his methods.)

(BTW, don't confuse the application MultiFirefox with the FF extension
Multifox; that's unrelated and has an entirely different purpose.)

For Windows users, if you search for something like "multi firefox for
windows" or "install multiple versions of Firefox on Windows" you'll find
many web pages with instructions, although I haven't tried any of them.

The broader question is how convenient it would be to use a separate
browser for development and for ordinary browsing. Currently I'm more
interested in learning the Mozilla DevTools, but if a future version of FF
kills off more key extensions that I use, I might start developing in an
older version, or try one of the extended support releases.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/firebug/CAMoMLKh5u2ErwbfTiQFqbRsfCDzGcvbjxUE45QL1qUT1_id38g%40mail.gmail.com.