Jamin,

> would be interested to know any problems you encounter (if any) and
will
> do my best to help you resolve them.

I have spent a lot of time getting Debian Woody (3.0r1, upgraded to
testing) installed on the Alpha machine I mentioned before. The machine
is an Alpha XL 366, with 64MB RAM and 11GB total disk space (stock 2GB
disk and an extra 9GB disk I installed, both SCSI). After some trouble
getting basic things installed (like an up-to-date 2.4.21 kernel), it's
now working just about right for what I need it to do.

The one problem I still have with the firewall script is that it prints
its logging messages to the console on which I am working (tty1),
instead of to the /var/log/messages file. I am using version 8.5, which
I had lying around, but as I recall on my i86 machine, I never had that
problem even with previous versions.

Nevertheless, I will upgrade to the latest version, but do you know of
anything else that would cause this?

All in all, getting the firewall working was pretty painless, once the
general network config was working (some of it is pretty different than
on Red Hat, which was my previous experience). The one thing I am
thankful for is that the default kernel Debian provides when upgrading
with apt-get contains pretty much every kernel module you could want.
This eased the process a lot.

Thanks in advance,

J-S

Jean-Sébastien Guay                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                  http://whitestar02.webhop.org/