On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:50:38 -0700
"Jamin W. Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:22:17PM -0600, Jacob S wrote:
> >
> > P.S. Jamin, any chance of firewall making it into Debian? I kind of
> > like being able to apt-get install/upgrade stuff.
>
> I've thought about this a bit and am rather torn on it.  There are a
> number of other firewall scripts and tools already in Debian.

I guess I haven't done a thorough investigation of the ones in Sarge. I
did however look at all of the ones I could find in Woody and then
Shorewall, Firestarter and a few others I had heard good things about. I
did do a little more looking when I was installing Sarge on a Sun
Ultra10 several months ago as well.

Firestarter and quite a few of the others are gui, so that takes them
off my list. I spent a couple hours reading Shorewall docs and trying to
configure it, but only succeeded in locking myself out. Then I stumbled
across firewall and had it configured and running in 15 minutes. It even
works great on my firewall/squid box with barely any config time
required. We've started using it at work (small webhost) as well, now
that we're finally migrating away from ipchains (2.4 kernel, so the
change is minor).

So, I'd be happy to see it make it into Debian. :-)

BTW - since my diffs to implement the TRUSTED_CONNECTIONS feature in
firewall were less than 5K I sent them to the list, but I guess
attachments are blocked. Do you want me to send them to you off-list?

Thanks,
Jacob