Dear Lou,

thank you for your response.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Louis H Kauffman <lou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Plamen,
> I suspect that what you would like to know about ‘distinction logic’ is
> how distinctions arise in natural systems.
> I would like to know more about this also!

I suspect Spencer-Brown has beeen working on this too.

> One can imagine that complex interactions can under appropriate
> circumstances lead to dynamic closed loops of interaction and even
> concomitant spatial distinctions (in the eye of an observer of the system).
> Such patterns would be the subject of a distinction logic or a logic of
> distinctions for that observer. There is the related question of how
> observers can arise but this is looped around with the first question. The
> two questions are linked with one another and one can imagine that systems
> that produce partly stable looping processes can begin to create naming and
> reference.

This sounds intriguing. Does not this go into biosemiotics?

> If they can do that, they will not be far from self-reference. Exactly how
> this could be done is a mystery. But that it happens is evident in the
> biological world.

So we come back to the old Searle thesis about self-reference?

https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/ijn_00089222/document

> On the other hand you may be interested in the simplicities of the
> calculus of indications or variations of that. I would be happy to talk
> about that. When I do it is at the level of human observer and our mutual
> abilities to distinguish, agree and disagree.

I see. This is the level of the scientist.
This should be doable. Self-referential microbes are out of question for
the moment.

Thanks!

Plamen