for us to see the various dimensions of this notion.

Now as promised my thoughts re: what is information? In fact I have written a
whole book on the subject which I invite all FISers to read free of charge as
it is available in an open access format at demopublishing.com
The availability of the book for free is part of an experiment in which I
wanted to explore if a book could be a two-way form of communication between an
author and his or her readers. So FISers please help yourself to my book and if
you do please honour me with a comment or two as the Web site you access the
book at also has provisions for you feedback. PS - The book is also available
in hard copy from Amazon.

So now for my definition of information as can be found in the book.
• Data are the pure and simple facts without any particular structure or
organization, the basic atoms of information,

• Information is structured data, which adds meaning to the data and gives it
context and significance,

• Knowledge is the ability to use information strategically to achieve one's
objectives, and

 • Wisdom is the capacity to choose objectives consistent with one's values and
within a larger social context

In the book I also quote T. S. Eliot whose lines of poetry provide another
perspective on wisdom, knowledge and information

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information? ­– TS Eliot

My definition of information as well as that of TS Eliot does not encompass the
notion of physicists who talk about information in terms of Wheeler’s "it from
bit” idea.
For me inanimate objects have no information because they have no choice. They
slavishly follow the laws of physics. Only biological, living organisms have
information because they have choice and information is that which allows them
to make their choices. And information is that which they perceive through
their senses from the simplest bacteria to us humans that ee cummings described
as "fine specimen(s) of hypermagical ultraomnipotence”   So this is my second
notion of what is ‘information’.
Even a book is not a form of information. It is the record of information
created by its author and it is a medium that allows its readers to recreate
that original information of its author. From a McLuhan perspective we could
also ask is information the medium or the message. McLuhan would say they are
the same since he said 'the medium is the message'. And he would also agree
that it is the reader that recreates information when the book
is read since he also said “the user is the content”.
Since composing this response a post from Lars-Göran Johansson appeared with
which I am in agreement
Best wishes to all - Bob Logan

Robert K. Logan
Prof. Emeritus - Physics - U. of Toronto
Fellow University of St. Michael's College
Chief Scientist - sLab at OCAD
http://utoronto.academia.edu/RobertKLogan
www.researchgate.net/profile/Robert_Logan5/publications
https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/people/homepages/logan/