Resent to FIS correct address

________________________________
De : Christophe Menant
Envoyé : jeudi 19 octobre 2017 11:15
À : is
Cc : Krassimir Markov
Objet : RE: [Fis] What is “Agent”?

Dear FIS colleagues,

Looking at defining agency is an interesting subject, somehow close to
information and meaning. Thank you Krassimir for bringing it up.
Let me propose here an approach based on what we can call ‘agents’ in our
everyday life. This can highlight characteristics possibly leading to a
definition.for agents.
Based on laymen’s understanding of the world most of us would agree about items
that can be considered as agents and items that cannot.
Obviously, animals, humans and plants are agents (Natural Agents).
Also, robots and most of our programmable builds up are agents (Artificial
Agents).
But stones, puddles, smokes (inert items) are not generally considered as
agents (‘non-agents’).
In terms of characteristics it is pretty obvious that both agents and
non-agents obey physico-chemical laws that exist everywhere.
But in contrast it is worth noticing that agents are local entities submitted
to internal constraints.
Natural Agents are submitted to ‘intrinsic constraints’ like ‘stay alive’
(individual & species) and ‘live group life’, with other specific constraints
for humans.
AAs are different as they have to satisfy ‘derived constraints’ coming from
their designer.
All these internal constraints are satisfied by actions implemented by the
agents. These actions can be physical, biological or mental and take place in
or out the agent.
Inert items (non-agents) are not submitted to internal constraints and do not
act for constraint satisfaction.
Such characterization of agents as different from non-agents brings us to the
following:
Agents are local entities.
Agents are submitted to internal constraints.
Agents are capable of action for constraint satisfaction.
This leads to a possible definition for an agent as being ‘an identifiable
entity submitted to internal constraints and capable of actions for the
satisfaction of the constraints’ (a more detailed presentation of that
definition is available at https://philpapers.org/rec/MENCSA-2).

Such definition of an agent focused on action for internal constraint
satisfaction positions meaning generation at the core of agency (a meaning is
generated as being the connection between received information and an internal
constraint).
And such relations between agency and meaning allow to look at some AI concerns
in quite simple terms. Characterizing agents and meanings by intrinsic or
derived constraints leads to positions on the Turing Test, on the Chinese Room
Argument and on the Symbol Grounding Problem (short paper on subject at
https://philpapers.org/rec/MENTTC-2).

Best
Christophe