At 18:41 21/06/2006, you wrote:
Pedro -- OK, I think I see your basic point.  If so, then we do agree
because I have concluded (tentatively) that, in the context of Universal
disequibilibrium, the principle of least action can be explained by the
maximum entropy production principle [e.g., the fastest action would
require the hardest work, and the shortest path for entropic energy flows
(heat, light, sound) would be sought in the interest of Universal
equilibration].

STAN

Maybe you are right, Stan, but my impression is that, if we are truly "a la recherche de l'information perdue", we cannot follow that entropic path only . Playing with the Proustian metaphor, there are two paths which have to be intertwined: "du côté de chez Swann" & "le côté de Guermantes." The dissipation of structures via diminishing supra-atomic distinctions & the creation of new structures via atomic bonds implying diminishing intra-atomic distinctions... Which path does predominate? It depends entirely on the existing boundary conditions. That's the general trick of life to navigate easily in both directions: a fantastic multiplication of boundaries by way of organs, organelles, compartments, membranes, etc.

Besides, both ways of information counting are very different, the entropic and the atomic internal energy (enthalpic), notwithstanding that Gibb's and other free energy expressions unite them algebraically. In this sense, the problem raised by Hans days ago, on the numbering discrepancy implicit in Schrodinger's equation, looks a very intriguing point. As said, my hunch concerning the informational quest for unification, is that the principle of "least action" is more general and more easily translatable to a form similar to "least informational description" than any acceptation derived exclusively of the second law... and perhaps more amenable to dialog with string theories too (which seemingly can deal with gravity and are cosmologically and "ontologically" quite creative).

Information physics is indeed a very fundamental region within the whole information science enterprise. If there is any possibility in the future, we should devote a complete "real" conference or seminar to it.

At the time being, Andrei's patience should be overstretched by all this continuous handweaving!

best regards

Pedro