Dear FIS colleagues,

About the approaches to the information concept commented by Karl, Loet, John, and Stan, let me argue that some of them have a rather narrow conceptual domain of applicability. In Karl's approach I have already argued that his highly suggestive conflation of the sequential vs. the simultaneous in order to define formally information should be accompanied by an agreeement (an in depth discussion) of the technical problem on how to count "multidimensional partitions". Morris, Pastor, and me had found years ago some discrepancy regarding the heuristic formula he has developed ...a few things might be different, and perhaps even more interesting. Well, it may seem strange, but Michael Leyton's approach based on group theory could be in close vicinity of the formal structures in Karl's. Anyhow, the pitty is that discussimg this on the Internet is a pain of the neck (we should have had a small ad hoc seminar during the Paris conference!).

My own track is based on the need to accomodate quite many new observations, mostly in molecular biology & neuroscience, that cannot be situated within the existing conceptualizations, apart from leaving the immediate problem of "meaning" in the dark, concerning its biological-material underpinng. So I proposed last year, in this list, exploring the scope of an alternative conceptualization of information as "distinction on the adjacent"... given that both terms are too heavily loaded, I stop here and leave the matter for future discussions (of course, the underlying reflection is that it is far more than a single concept what we are trying to clarify during all these years in this list: the quest for a consistent new "perspective" or disciplinary body around information).

best regards

Pedro