At 05:30 PM 2008/09/18, Sonu Bhaskar wrote:

Dear FIS Colleagues,

The cognizance between the art and cognitive neuroscience has been relatively ignored in the scientific fraternity. The recent proposition regarding the ten laws of art, as Dr. V. S. Ramachandran puts it, has ignited a new debate among the philosophers and the neuroscientists about neural correlates of art in its different forms.

Professor Ramachandran's suggested 10 universal laws of art:
  1. Peak shift
  2. Grouping
  3. Contrast
  4. Isolation
  5. Perception problem solving
  6. Symmetry
  7. Abhorrence of coincidence/generic viewpoint
  8. Repetition, rhythm and orderliness
  9. Balance
  10. Metaphor

Ref: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2003/lecture3.shtml

The tenets of the above 10 laws draws its profound inspiration from the theory of information flow and the conceptualisation of the perception in humans. Interestingly, some of these points dovetail with Lanham's proposal that Pedro mentions; but others are very differentÂ…

This is my first posting to FIS. I am an Indian Neuroscientist pursuing doctoral research in Spain (land of Cajal!!!).

Welcome, Sonu.

Ramchadran is a brilliant psychologist. I use him in my 2nd year Cognitive Science course. The way he demolishes some a priori views of psychology (I mention Dennett and Fodor in particular) by specific examples of experimental results is a model that others would be well advised to pay close attention to.

Cheers,
John

Professor John Collier                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Philosophy and Ethics, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292       F: +27 (31) 260 3031
http://www.ukzn.ac.za/undphil/collier/index.html