I really appreciate Beth coming to my aid and providing an example of what
I am doing, and it may be a help if I fill it out. What I would add, in
rather schematic explanation of the Greece/ China comparison is that the
relation of the Greeks to stone and of the Chinese to earth, seems to
depend on several factors.   One is that stone is as predominant element
of the natural environment in Greece as soil is in China. Another is that
the importance of stone in Greece was magnified because the defence of a
city's land was so vital.   Since defence depended both on formations of
armed men and on stone walls it became natural to them to see the one as
like the other.  In China, on the other hand, what people had on their
mind in the Yellow River valley was not defence but fertility, which
depended on the circulation of moisture giving life to the soil; so soil
was as central to life in China as stone was in Greece.   One illustration
of the importance of the different approaches to these materials in the
two areas is the difference between Chinese and Greek medicine. The
Chinese saw the circulation of the spirit chi in the body as just like the
circulation of humidity in the air and soil and so treated the body using
non-invasive techniques like acupuncture. The Greeks saw the body as like
stone, which is why they  liked sculpting the body through surgery,
cutting bits off and out of people.     The key to the explanatory
framework in both cases is  neural plasticity.   Because the Greeks and
the Chinese were exposed to different environments they had different
brains.   At the risk of excessively compressing an argument which
potentially involves the consideration of innumerable factors I would like
to think that the relation between  brain and environment is so constant
across time and place that we can talk about it being regulated by
principles, principles of neural formation.  I hope that helps. John> Hi
everyone,